Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, November 17, 2011

World Prematurity Awareness Day

Two years ago I would have guessed that the main reason babies are born early is due to a mother's poor prenatal actions. So when I became pregnant I would've bet money that I would never set foot in a NICU. I didn't drink, smoke, and I had no preexisting conditions. I barely touched caffeine and stayed away from hot tubs, sushi, lunch meat, and queso. Prenatal vitamins were ingested daily before I ever became pregnant. I drank tons of water and ate from all the food groups. My husband and I didn't miss a single prenatal appointment. And yet, my child spent 73 days in the NICU.

Prematurity is a serious issue in our country. One in eight babies is born before 37 weeks gestation. In 40% of these cases the cause for early arrival is unknown. Of the thirteen million babies born prematurely, one million of them don't see their first birthday. Those that do make it often have lasting effects: cerebral palsy, hearing or vision deficits, breathing problems, difficulty feeding and digesting, and learning disabilities.

I know all too well how powerless you can feel when your baby is taken from you too soon. I couldn't keep my son healthy or safe. I did nothing wrong and yet my son had to fight for his life. You may feel similarly powerless to help families like mine and babies like Max. But there are things you can do:
1. Give to the March of Dimes. They are researching ways to prevent preterm birth and help preemies.
2. Walk in the March for Babies, sponsored by March of Dimes. Get sponsors to help with donations.
3. Enlist the help of your church or friends to make tiny hats and blankets. Donate them to a NICU.
4. If you do know a family with a child in the NICU, provide meals for them or gift cards to eat out. They will likely have little time to cook and may travel great distances to get to the hospital.
5. Donate books, magazines, or puzzle books to a hospital's waiting room. NICU parents do a lot of waiting and appreciate the small distractions. Board books could also be donated so parents can read to their preemies.
6. Let a family know you are thinking and praying for them. Pray for those children you know and those you don't.

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers as Max struggled in the NICU. We are beyond blessed to have a healthy 21 month old at home.
All babies should be wireless :(
Max at about 28 weeks gestation, just over 2.5 lb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers