Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, April 19, 2010

One Step Closer

We've had a long journey with lots of celebrations and bumps in the road. And we are coming closer each day to ending the NICU portion of our journey. If you remember, there are a few criteria for Maxwell being released to go home. He has already made it to a big boy crib and his "spells" have decreased dramatically (not gone yet). We've been working on his feeding and making some slow progress. But Sunday the doctor made the call to GET RID OF THE FEEDING TUBE! They will call it a "trial run" where they will monitor his intake and his weight very closely for about 48 hours before deciding whether the tube can stay out. The next step then would be to start feeding "ad lib." Instead of waking him to eat 49 mL every 3 hours they would let him decide (within reason) how much he wants and when he wants it. While we are very excited for the feeding tube to be gone, we have also been cautioned that some babies do really well feeding for a few days before becoming worn out (and needing the tube again). However, this is still a significant step in our journey homeward! With the feeding tube (and Daddy)
Without the feeding tube

Keep saying prayers for our ravenous little man to keep chugging down those bottles with no reflux. Most of his "spells" are related to the reflux so once we get that under control I think we will be homeward bound! I have been hoping for a healthy, happy baby to show up at my house for my birthday (April 25th) and we are so close! Grow, Max, grow (and breathe, Max, breathe!)! One last pic of the sweetest baby in the NICU:

1 comment:

  1. Love love love it!! Come on Max and be strong! I am so excited for you and John to bring your little man home...I hope I can bring home my little boy soon too!! We will have to plan a play date late summer! I just can't wait to meet Max and tell baby Lannan how strong his friend Max is :-)

    ReplyDelete

Followers