Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Baby Maxwell Franklin Hunt Gets a Head Start on Life

I
Maxwell decided February 12, 2010 was a better date to enter this world than the May 11th due date determined by the doctors. He sure did not give Colleen and I much notice. One moment we were returning from our "Pre-Valentine's Day Date" and the next moment we are coming to the realization that Max is coming this night no matter what.

We were all worried and praying for the best as Colleen approached the OR for the emergency cesarean section. But we all knew Colleen and Max would fight to the very end. Taking into account the circumstances the surgery was very successful. However, as soon as Max entered the world he was whisked away to the nicu prep area to ensure all his vitals were good and give his lungs a little help. Luckily Max is a strong baby even at 27 weeks and 3 days, as he was brought back into the OR for Colleen and I to see his precious face.

The birth weight for Max was a whopping 2 lbs 11 oz, which is actually in the upper tier for babies in this age bracket. Once we returned from the OR we had to make the decision where to send Max in the next couple hours. Regional Medical Center did a fantastic job delivering Max, but they are not setup for premies 32 weeks and below. We made the decision to send him to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital in Nashville, TN. Our first impressions were great when one of the three medical personnel with the Vanderbilt "Angel" transportation group came up to our room after the quick drive from Nashville and explained what we would be going through in next 24 to 48 hours.

The next step was the transportation from Madisonville, KY to Nashville, TN. Max is shown to the right in his mobile incubator fitted with all the necessary monitors and safety equipment to handle the one and half hour drive. We knew he would be in good hands during this important journey. Colleen is hoping to be discharged from the hospital at some point Saturday and join Max in Nashville later that night. We have been though a lot in the past 24 hours and our hopes remain 100% positive. But we are still very aware of the uphill battle we have from here.

More pictures...


John and Max


John finger vs. Max finger


Colleen and Max


Colleen on "Cloud 9"

5 comments:

  1. That sweet baby Maxwell already has many fans! We are here to support all of you in this journey! Please know that I am a phone call away if you need anything! Looking forward to meeting this precious little guy in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, Colleen, and baby Max,

    We are thrilled to see pictures and to see everyone smiling. Kevin and I are hoping and praying for you. We know the next few weeks will be difficult, if you need anything, even help with Josie please give us a call. Colleen, I am so excited to see you smiling and rubbing your little man's feet. You and your family are giving Kevin and I strength! Happy Valentine's Day!!!

    Love,
    Kevin, Bailey, Baby Lannan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to you both and welcome to the world of parenthood...there is nothing in the world like it!! I'm sure this is not how you thought little Max would make his grand entrance but just know that GOD has such an amazing plan for Max's life! I'm praying for you guys as you go through this journey and I'm so glad you started a blog so we can join you on this journey. Again, congratulation on your little man...he is precious! We can't wait to meet him and Emma and I are excited to have many play dates in the future! If there is anything at all I can do for you just let me know!
    Lindsey Townsend Rogers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maxwell is absolutely adorable! I know that you and John are such proud parents right now, even at such an early date! The Lord meant for you both to get to meet and love little Maxwell early. I second Lindsey's comment in welcoming you to being parents. Mommy and Daddy are two of the most wonderful words you will hear in the English language. Those words carry such weight and are priceless to the ears of a loving parent. May God give you both the strength in the coming days and allow your faith to comfort you as you await the day that Maxwell can join you at his new home. You certainly know that everyone at EES will glady walk the line for you if you need anything. With love, Melissa Lutz
    Melissa A. Lutz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little man is beautiful Colleen. I am praying for him and you. Take care of yourself. God is good and He knows the right timing for everything.Love ya, Susie Woodruff

    ReplyDelete

Followers